BREAST CANCER IN INDIA – REAL INCREASE IN INCIDENCE
July 31, 2019
Breast Cancer represents the most common cancer in Indian women, with an age-adjusted rate of 25.8 cases per 100,000 women and a mortality rate of 12.7 per 100,000 women. If you need to Consult the best oncologist in chennai contact us
It is the most common female cancer worldwide. In 2012, 1.7 million women were diagnosed with breast cancer and there were 6.3 million women alive who had been diagnosed with breast cancer in the previous five years. Clearly, the menace of breast cancer needs to be nipped in the bud. 2 Million new cases per year globally by 2030 17% of the World’s population suffering from breast cancer. In India, 1 in 28 Women in India likely to develop breast cancer, 50% of all cases are in the 25 – 50 years age group.
Prognosis: Key to Recovery – more than 70% of cases in advanced stages leading to high mortality. More than 60% of women were diagnosed with breast cancer at Stage III or IV 20% increase in cancer incidence since 2008 increase in cancer mortality since 2008.
- 100x More common among women
- 2 in 3 Invasive breast cancer found in women age 55 or older
- 5 – 10% Breast cancer cases are hereditary Breast Cancer.
Myth #1: Finding a lump in your breast means you have breast cancer
Fact: Most breast lumps are caused by benign (noncancerous) changes, cysts, or other conditions.
Breast tissue is changing all the time because of fluctuating hormone levels, especially during times of menstruation and breastfeeding. It’s important to be aware of how your breasts normally look and feel, and know what changes to look for.
Take Action: While most breast lumps will not turn out to be cancerous, lumps that feel harder or different from the rest of the breast (or the other breast), or change over time, should always be checked by your doctor.
Myth #2: Breast cancer is a hereditary disease
Fact: Only 5% to 10% of breast cancers are thought to be hereditary. The other 90% are largely due lifestyle and environmental factors.
The risk in a person believing this myth is that they might think there is nothing they can do to prevent breast cancer if it is already in their family. Genetic testing can help you understand your inherited risk and allow you to make choices about your future care.
Some high-risk women also choose to have a prophylactic mastectomy to decrease their risk.
Take Action: Cancer is a complex group of diseases with many possible causes, including lifestyle factors such as smoking, diet, and physical activity. Lower your risk of developing breast cancer by maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, and limiting the amount of alcohol you drink. Get consultation from Dr.Vimal Athithan – Best Surgical oncologist in Chennai